Announcement: VirtualBox 3.2.0 Beta 1 released
Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 08:46:28 UTC
Please do NOT use this VirtualBox Beta release on production machines!
A VirtualBox Beta release should be considered a bleeding-edge release
meant for early evaluation and testing purposes.

You can download the binaries here:

http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/

(don't worry about the IP address, this is a temporary Oracle server)

Please do NOT open bug reports at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
but use our 'VirtualBox Beta Feedback' forum at

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=15

to report any problems with the Beta.

Version 3.2.0 will be a major update. The following major new features
were added:

* Following the acquisition of Sun Microsystems by Oracle Corporation,
the product is now called Oracle VM VirtualBox and all references
were changed without impacting compatibility.

* Experimental support for Mac OS X guests

* Memory ballooning to dynamically in- or decrease the amount of RAM used
by a VM (64-bit hosts only) (see the manual for more information)

* CPU hot-plugging for Linux (hot-add and hot-remove) and certain Windows
guests (hot-add only) (see the manual for more information)

* New Hypervisor features: with both VT-x/AMD-V on 64-bit hosts, using
large pages can improve performance (see the manual for more information);
also, on VT-x, unrestricted guest execution is now supported (if nested
paging is enabled with VT-x, real mode and protected mode without paging
code runs faster, which mainly speeds up guest OS booting)

* Support for deleting snapshots while the VM is running

* Support for multi-monitor guest setups in the GUI (see the manual for
more information)

* USB tablet/keyboard emulation for improved user experience if no Guest
Additions are available

* LsiLogic SAS controller emulation

* RDP video acceleration

* NAT engine configuration via API and VBoxManage

* Guest Additions: added support for executing guest applications from
the host system

* OVF: enhanced OVF support with custom namespace to preserve settings that
are not part of the base OVF standard

Please see the forum for a complete list of all changes since version 3.1.6.

Thanks for your help!

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht MÃŒnchen: HRB 161028
GeschÀftsfÌhrer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin HÀring
Trond Husø
2010-04-28 08:51:35 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
* Experimental support for Mac OS X guests
Can you do this? I mean: From what I've heard earlier it is not legal to
run Mac OS in any kind of virtual environment. Or do you mean hosts
here?
--
Trond Husø
-----------------------------

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 09:03:50 UTC
Post by Trond Husø
Post by Frank Mehnert
* Experimental support for Mac OS X guests
Can you do this? I mean: From what I've heard earlier it is not legal to
run Mac OS in any kind of virtual environment. Or do you mean hosts
here?
I'm not a lawyer but AFAIR it is not forbidden to run Mac OS X
on Apple hardware. It doesn't matter if Mac OS X runs virtualized
or not.

Btw, VirtualBox supports Mac OS X as host for years...

Kind regards,

Frank

GeschÀftsfÌhrer: JÌrgen Kunz
Trond Husø
2010-04-28 09:14:10 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by Trond Husø
Post by Frank Mehnert
* Experimental support for Mac OS X guests
Can you do this? I mean: From what I've heard earlier it is not legal to
run Mac OS in any kind of virtual environment. Or do you mean hosts
here?
I'm not a lawyer but AFAIR it is not forbidden to run Mac OS X
on Apple hardware. It doesn't matter if Mac OS X runs virtualized
or not.
That's probably right:
http://www.macworld.com/article/133961/2008/06/virtualosx.html
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

Jochen Roderburg
2010-04-28 09:44:36 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/
(don't worry about the IP address, this is a temporary Oracle server)
Thank god, finally a download server which does not mangle the file
names beyond recognition. ;-)

Regards,
J.Roderburg

Leonardo Carneiro - Veltrac
2010-04-28 14:45:43 UTC
Hi Frank. All these new features are very welcome. Nice to see that
Oracle will keep developing this product. I have two questions:

1. There is any roadmap of when this version will hit a final release?
2. Will you guys add this beta version on the Ubuntu, Fedora and all the
other repos as a alternate package?

Tks in advance.
Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 15:26:21 UTC
Leonardo,
Post by Leonardo Carneiro - Veltrac
1. There is any roadmap of when this version will hit a final release?
There is no public roadmap. The final release date depends a bit on the
feedback we get from the users. But usually it takes weeks not months from
the first Beta to the final release.
Post by Leonardo Carneiro - Veltrac
2. Will you guys add this beta version on the Ubuntu, Fedora and all the
other repos as a alternate package?
No, this is not planned for a good reason. You should know what you are
doing when installing a Beta package. So better do this manually and not
using a package manager ...

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz
Geoff Nordli
2010-04-28 15:15:10 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
* RDP video acceleration
This looks very interesting, is there more information around this feature?

Thanks,

Geoff

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 15:44:21 UTC
Geoff,
Post by Geoff Nordli
Post by Frank Mehnert
* RDP video acceleration
This looks very interesting, is there more information around this feature?
here we refer to section 7.1.8 of the user manual which can be
found here:

http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/UserManual.pdf

Kind regards,

Frank

Fernando Cassia
2010-04-28 15:51:03 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Geoff,
Post by Geoff Nordli
Post by Frank Mehnert
* RDP video acceleration
This looks very interesting, is there more information around this feature?
here we refer to section 7.1.8 of the user manual which can be
 http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/UserManual.pdf
Kind regards,
Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Frank,

One question: why the decision to rebrand Sun Virtualbox to Oracle
virtualbox?. An Oracle exec had promised early Janurary to keep the
Sun brand alive, and Ellison himself I think said at the time that he
was going to "re-energize" the Sun brand.

The Sun Microsystems brand name is not something to throw away...
Yet, that´s precisely what Oracle seems to be doing right now...

FC

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 16:04:30 UTC
Fernando,
Post by Fernando Cassia
One question: why the decision to rebrand Sun Virtualbox to Oracle
virtualbox?. An Oracle exec had promised early Janurary to keep the
Sun brand alive, and Ellison himself I think said at the time that he
was going to "re-energize" the Sun brand.
The Sun Microsystems brand name is not something to throw away...
Yet, thatÂŽs precisely what Oracle seems to be doing right now...
that's nothing I can comment on. This decision came from some
levels above me :) My _personal_ opinion is that the Sun brand
is more important for the Sun hardware than for certain software
products. But no discussion about this topic please as we (the
VBox dev team) cannot influence this decision anyway.

Kind regards,

Frank

Geoff Nordli
2010-04-28 16:12:49 UTC
2010-04-28 16:24:44 UTC
2010-04-28 20:07:22 UTC
Post by Fernando Cassia
Does this RDP support mean that one can use this Microsoft client
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e
-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en
...for legacy systems (NT/2000/Win9X) to connect to a Virtualbox
session remotelly?.
Right.
Post by Fernando Cassia
Does it feature sound support?.
AFAIR yes.

Kind regards,

Frank

David Baron
2010-04-28 16:43:52 UTC
Cool!

Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over previous
versions. I had to not only remove 3.1.6 but purge it as well. No big deal but
should not be necessary.

JD
2010-04-28 16:58:09 UTC
Post by David Baron
Cool!
Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over previous
versions. I had to not only remove 3.1.6 but purge it as well. No big deal but
should not be necessary.
Interesting that you had to purge it as well.
Possibly something wrong with the debian package
management system???
I am on Fedora 12, and all I had to do was remove
the 3.1 package and install the new beta.
No problems with the install process.
I have not tried the new beta yet.
I am pleased that people will be able to run OS X
as a guest.

erstazi
2010-04-28 17:06:30 UTC
Post by JD
Post by David Baron
Cool!
Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over previous
versions. I had to not only remove 3.1.6 but purge it as well. No big deal but
should not be necessary.
Interesting that you had to purge it as well.
Possibly something wrong with the debian package
management system???
I am on Fedora 12, and all I had to do was remove
the 3.1 package and install the new beta.
No problems with the install process.
I have not tried the new beta yet.
I am pleased that people will be able to run OS X
as a guest.
I am on Debian Lenny and all I had to do was: aptitude remove
virtualbox-3.1 and then install the virtualbox 3.2.0 package.

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 20:09:51 UTC
Post by JD
Interesting that you had to purge it as well.
Possibly something wrong with the debian package
management system???
I am on Fedora 12, and all I had to do was remove
the 3.1 package and install the new beta.
No problems with the install process.
Note that "delete" on rpm-based distributions is the same as
"purge" on Debian-based distributions.

But yes, deleting the 3.1 package should be enough. OTOH it
should not hurt to purge the package.

Kind regards,

Frank

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-28 20:12:15 UTC
Post by David Baron
Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over
previous versions.
This is by intension. You can install a 3.1.x package over another
3.1.x package not (for instance) a 3.2.x package over a 3.1.x
package. The reason is to have packages of different VBox branches
in the same repository so a user can decide to either stay at the
last stable 3.1.x package or to switch to 3.2.0 when released.

Kind regards,

Frank

JD
2010-04-28 20:22:42 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by David Baron
Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over
previous versions.
This is by intension. You can install a 3.1.x package over another
3.1.x package not (for instance) a 3.2.x package over a 3.1.x
package. The reason is to have packages of different VBox branches
in the same repository so a user can decide to either stay at the
last stable 3.1.x package or to switch to 3.2.0 when released.
Kind regards,
Frank
I had tried to do rpm -Uvh, but that did not work,
the way it does with all other Fedora rpm packages
- because VBox uses a different package naming convention??

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-29 05:40:18 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by David Baron
Maybe it is time for the (Debian/Ubuntu) installers to install over
previous versions.
This is by intension. You can install a 3.1.x package over another
3.1.x package not (for instance) a 3.2.x package over a 3.1.x
package. The reason is to have packages of different VBox branches
in the same repository so a user can decide to either stay at the
last stable 3.1.x package or to switch to 3.2.0 when released.
Kind regards,
Frank
I had tried to do rpm -Uvh, but that did not work,
the way it does with all other Fedora rpm packages
- because VBox uses a different package naming convention??
Same reason as for the Debian packages: Upgrading with -U will
work between 3.1.x releases but not from 3.1.x to 3.2.x. This
makes it possible to have VBox 3.1.x and VBox 3.2.x in the same
repository.

Kind regards,

Frank

JD
2010-04-29 05:56:52 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by JD
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by David Baron
[...]
Well, I do not know what you mean by having them in the same respository.
What benefit does that provide to the user?
Do you mean that both may be installed on the same system?

Cheers,

JD

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-29 07:29:23 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Frank Mehnert
Same reason as for the Debian packages: Upgrading with -U will
work between 3.1.x releases but not from 3.1.x to 3.2.x. This
makes it possible to have VBox 3.1.x and VBox 3.2.x in the same
repository.
Well, I do not know what you mean by having them in the same respository.
What benefit does that provide to the user?
Do you mean that both may be installed on the same system?
The VirtualBox package repository / software repository is the
location where the VirtualBox packages may be retrieved from and
installed on the local computer, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository

Having separate package names for the development branches of
VirtualBox (3.0.x, 3.1.x and 3.2.x) allows the user to decide
which branch he want to install. If the user decides that VBox
3.1 fits his needs and he thinks that VBox 3.2.0 is not stable
enough yet then he can decide to stay at VBox 3.1 but he will still
receive the latest updates for this stable VBox 3.1 line when he
does 'yum update' or 'zypper update'. Changes within a branch are
usually much smaller and therefore the probability for a regression
is lower.

If the user decides that he wants to install the latest and greatest
release then this decision requires active interaction: He has to
switch manually from one package to a different package because
VirtualBox-3.1 != VirtualBox-3.2 (the branch is part of the package
name). And this isn't a problem, he can just uninstall VirtualBox 3.1
and will not loose _any_ setting.

Sorry but I discussed this several times, is it really that difficult
to understand?

Yes, I would prefer if it would be possible to have both: The user
can decide which branch he want to stay at and upgrading between
different branches is possible without uninstalling the version of
the previous branch. But this is _not_ possible, at least I'm not
aware of such a solution.

Because: As soon as there is a clean update path from VirtualBox-3.1
to VirtualBox-3.2 (this can be achieved by the rpm keyword "Obsoletes:"
in the package description) then a simple 'yum update' or 'zypper update'
would trigger the _automatic_ replacement of the old package by the new
package -- and this automatism is exactly what we want to prevent!

This article

http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Dependencies

describes the various RPM package dependencies.

And to finally answer you question: No, it is _not_ possible to install
different VirtualBox versions on the same machine. The reason is simple:
The interface to the kernel modules of the two versions might have changed
and there can be only one set of active VBox kernel modules at the same
time.

Kind regards,

Frank

Gerald

Alexey Eremenko
2010-04-29 08:08:06 UTC
Post by Gerald
Is OSE out too?
I'm hoping the bleeding edge might fix my issue with running VBox on FBSD
8.x Release
Yes, OSE here:
http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

David Baron
2010-04-29 12:42:22 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by JD
Post by Frank Mehnert
[...]
Most Debian folks who will go to the trouble of deciding that one prefers a
specific version will use the appropriate option in Synaptic, etc., to install
that version. One who thinks the latest and greatest is consistently too buggy
can "pin" the version preventing unwanted upgrades. (Simply doing apt-get
upgrade (or yum or whatever) is very dangerous since much software being
blindly upgraded from unstable may be buggy or broken so is not advised.)

Frank Mehnert
2010-04-29 13:18:24 UTC
Post by David Baron
Most Debian folks who will go to the trouble of deciding that one prefers a
specific version will use the appropriate option in Synaptic, etc., to
install that version. One who thinks the latest and greatest is
consistently too buggy can "pin" the version preventing unwanted upgrades.
(Simply doing apt-get upgrade (or yum or whatever) is very dangerous since
much software being blindly upgraded from unstable may be buggy or broken
so is not advised.)
You didn't get me. Pinning to a specific version will prevent an
automatic update from, for example, VBox 3.1.2 to VBox 3.1.4 while
this update is most often appreciated (while an automatic update from
VBox 3.1.2 to VBox 3.2.0 is not).

Kind regards,

Frank

JD
2010-04-29 13:56:53 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Post by JD
Post by Frank Mehnert
[...]
I see. Thank you very much for this lucid explanation.
Certainly makes sense, especially to those who are
running production systems, rather than just trying things out.

Regards,

JD

chris hallsworth
2010-04-28 19:25:28 UTC
Hello all,
First of all, thank you very much for this announcement. Below are my
main concerns.
I wonder if accessibility has been thought of at all in the upcoming
release.
I'm a VMware user, but also use VirtualBox as a side by side comparison.
As of late I am very disappointed with the lack of accessibility with
the product, and I am therefore wondering if 3.2 and later will turn
this around.
This is only a criticism, so hope you don't mind such. I feel that
competition is healthy, and therefore we should not have to restrict
ourselves with one product because it's accessible both for screen
readers and users who rely on the keyboard, either because they are
blind or they can't use a mouse.
All comments are very welcome. I have forwarded this announcement to my
blind virtual machines list, which you can join by sending a blank
message to b-v-m-subscribe-hHKSG33TihhUou4Mz/***@public.gmane.org
I and the other moderators will very much look forward to seeing you on
the list.
Take care.
P.S. Sorry for any duplicates. I forgot that I am on the announcements
only list, and I also forgot I couldn't post to the announce only list.

Chris Hallsworth
E-mail and Facebook: christopherh40-gM/Ye1E23mwN+***@public.gmane.org
MSN: ch9675-***@public.gmane.org
Skype: chrishallsworth7266
chris hallsworth
2010-04-28 19:31:05 UTC
I should also mention that if you need to test the accessibility of your
software, why not check out the free and open source screen reader NVDA,
or NonVisual Desktop Access. You can download it, as well as find out
more information, by going to www.nvda-project.org.
Hope this is all helpful.

Fernando Cassia
2010-04-28 19:34:19 UTC
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM, chris hallsworth
Post by chris hallsworth
I should also mention that if you need to test the accessibility of your
software, why not check out the free and open source screen reader NVDA,
or NonVisual Desktop Access. You can download it, as well as find out
more information, by going to www.nvda-project.org.
Hope this is all helpful.
Speaking of accessibility -or lack thereof- Sun let go last year the
key developer and head of the ORCA screen reader software, integrated
in Gnome...

He has asked on his blog for those interested to request to the new
heads at Oracle that accesibility is something worth maintaining...

FC

James Mansion
2010-04-30 19:06:36 UTC
Post by Frank Mehnert
Please do NOT use this VirtualBox Beta release on production machines!
A VirtualBox Beta release should be considered a bleeding-edge release
meant for early evaluation and testing purposes.
http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/
Frank,

Are there any instructions on how to boot MacOS/X into a VM? There's no
mention of guest additions either, are there any?

James

Alexey Eremenko
2010-04-30 19:53:54 UTC
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM, James Mansion
Post by Fernando Cassia
Post by Frank Mehnert
Please do NOT use this VirtualBox Beta release on production machines!
A VirtualBox Beta release should be considered a bleeding-edge release
meant for early evaluation and testing purposes.
  http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/
Frank,
Are there any instructions on how to boot MacOS/X into a VM?  There's no
mention of guest additions either, are there any?
James
Mac OS X VMs can work on Apple hardware, but no Guest Additions
provided at this time.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

Mario Lobo
2010-04-30 20:46:02 UTC
Post by Fernando Cassia
Post by Frank Mehnert
Please do NOT use this VirtualBox Beta release on production machines!
A VirtualBox Beta release should be considered a bleeding-edge release
meant for early evaluation and testing purposes.
http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/
Frank,
Are there any instructions on how to boot MacOS/X into a VM? There's no
mention of guest additions either, are there any?
James
Just look for Iatkos v7on the net. It will easily boot and install on a VBox
VM.

No guest additions (yet).
--
Mario Lobo